Sunday, February 03, 2013

Epoch Dinosaur Battle


A couple of years ago, we had lost power for a couple of days. It is amazing just how dependent that we have become on electricity to provide all of those creature comforts that we all seem to have taken for granted. We did however have a generator since we had to buy one during the great ice storm of 2009. We were with out power for over a week with that storm- while some in neighboring towns went without for two weeks.  At that time, we were thinking a new Ice Age was soon upon us.

Free Woolly Mammoth
Another Design inspired by the 2009 Ice Storm
Basically, we ran the generator for a couple of hours early in the morning and at 5:00 PM so that we could get the house up to temperature and prepare our meals.  I had no intention of running my Power Mac and our LCD TV on it. The weather was unseasonably warm with plentiful sunshine. I was comfortable with a heavy sweater and a blanket over my legs. As my computer wasn't available for use during the work day, I literally went back to the drawing board. Because I pretty much do everything digitally these days, It had been quite a few years since I had really devoted any serious time sketching and drawing on real paper using actual pencils and pens. I knew that this was going to be fun because I had no deadlines looming at this time.  I was inspired to just sketch, so I just put pencil to paper and started doodling. Of course, I just had to render some dinos, which were pretty much my favorite subject matter when I was a kid.
T Rex vs Triceratops
T Rex vs Triceratops Line Drawing
Last week I scanned those sketches from a couple years back and reworked them in Photoshop- making some edits and adding in the color. The dinosaur illustration above depicts a classic confrontation between Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus Rex. I imagined a scene having taken place at the dawn of the Cretaceous Period.  In this epic battle, the three horn impales sharp tooth. The T Rex is mortally wounded and the rogue Triceratops goes on to live another day.  After completing the art, I added the title 'Epoch' and posted the designs on a couple of Mudge Studios Pod shops. There, you'll see a variety of Dinosaur t-shirts, stickers, posters, refrigerator magnets and other novelties. I'll post some links to these dino items below.
T Rex vs Triceratops T-Shirt at Zazzle
T Rex vs Triceratops T-Shirt at Zazzle
T Rex vs Triceratops at RedBubble
T Rex vs Triceratops Tee at RedBubble

No comments: