Friday, January 04, 2013

Wedding Caricature for my Cousin Em

wedding caricature by Mudge Studios
Emily, Jantz and Becks Caricature 2012
2012 was a great year for the Mudgett family getting together with my Mom's side of the family as both of my cousins each had their wedding in Vermont last year- and they were only a couple of months or so apart. Cousin Nate's wedding was first and that was when Jantz, who is pictured above, requested that I create a caricature of he and Emily for their wedding that was coming up in early October. He wanted it to be a surprise for his bride to be- also requesting that he not even see any sketches. We chatted a little bit about style, etc. and then proceeded to enjoy the rest of night celebrating the union of Nate and Bree.

I couldn't do too much until many of the details concerning Emily and Jantz's wedding were locked in. During that time, I had Jantz scout around for some decent photo reference. Within a couple of weeks the details were rolling in. Emily was to be wearing a white dress while Jantz would be sporting a Carcoal colored tux with a peach tie and vest. He and his wedding party selected some really cool kicks. Check out the Vann's illustrated above... no pun intended. The newly weds had also booked their honeymoon at Turks and Caicos. Well, that was enough for me to get going on the project. I asked Jantz about throwing in the 'Together Forever October 6th 2012' and he loved the idea. That's when it occurred to him to ask me if there was anyway that I could have a matt or something around the caricature where their wedding guests could sign it. I told him that I was having their caricature printed on a canvas and that I could leave a generous area surrounding the caricatures for signing.
Mudge at the wedding adding his John Hancock to the canvas
 When I had completed the art. I had emailed a high resolution file to CafePress where it was printed and shipped directly to my aunt in Vermont. She was able to keep it under wraps until the Big Day. The canvas was placed on an antique chair with some permanent gold and silver sharpies available nearby. All of their special wedding guests were able to sign it and leave a short message. Turns out that Jantz and my cousin Emily loved the artwork too. Their wedding caricature now hangs proudly in their apartment in California. I didn't tell Jantz that I was also including a caricature of their dog Becks. I'm sure that he loved that idea- well, except that the dog is wearing a New England Patriots jersey.  Emily absolutely loved that as she was born and raised in New England. Jantz, on the other hand, grew up in Cali and loves the Raiders. Anyway, I know how much both Em and Jantz love their pup and cherish Becks as the child in their family. I love those guys and I wish them all the best.

No comments: